Thursday, April 2, 2015

Work in Progress... Chloe Smith

"I’m going to print this pattern onto fabric for my stations of the cross project. My station is number 6 - Veronica wipes the face of Jesus. It feels symbolic to press my image onto fabric to represent this station.

I am not a Christian but my favourite part of Christian art is the symbolism -something equally prevalent in tattoo art. My bird and teardrop ‘tattoo design’ aims to marry the two.


  
I got slightly obsessed with tattoo iconography after reading about a tattoo stations project called Stations on the Skin: https://createvisualculture.wordpress.com/2012/02/01/cruciformity-stations-on-skin-the-designs-and-invite/ 

I read that wives of incarcerated husband’s would have teardrop tattoos to show their solidarity and loss. It seemed relevant for Veronica to have a teardrop tattoo on her face. She seems to me to represent all Christians in her actions and attitude towards Jesus’s journey with the cross and his suffering."

1 comment:

  1. see also chloe's tumblr here - http://chloesmithprints.tumblr.com/image/115376985907

    ReplyDelete