Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Introducing... Chloe Smith

Chloe Smith is a Roundhay-based printmaking artist. She uses a variety of techniques in her work, predominantly multi-plate or reduction lino cuts.

She draws inspiration from the often chaotic experience of life as a mother of young children, and also from the peace and solace that she finds in nature and the Yorkshire landscape.

We asked Chloe to tell us about five objects that have some sort of resonance for her and her work...


"Simple landscape shapes...

Small pot of sand

This sand is the colour of ginger nut biscuits and came back with me from the Sahara desert. 
The pot of sand takes me back to the endless soft rolling hills of the dune and the simplicity of the desert landscape." 



"Pattern and design...

Silver bird necklace

I have always loved the contemporary design of this necklace combining the pattern and the birds. I am inspired by how pattern is used in jewellery design."



"Nature...

Pussy Willow

Pussy Willow is one of my favourite plants. The cut stems will last years in a vase if left alone. The buds remain soft and the colours muted. I love the look of them, the colours and the texture."



"Bold colour...

Red drawers

Bought and stained red in the 1970s by my parents, these drawers were in my childhood bedroom and still brighten our hall today. Bold colour is important."



"Yorkshire grit...


Emily Carr's determined approach to her work and life inspire me to do more - stop dithering and get on with it. Her autobiography makes me want to trek across the Canadian Rockies with my sketchbook though Otley Chevin makes do. Her drawings and paintings were before their time too."






You can see more of Chloe's work on her tumblr.







Chloe'll also be taking part in the Roundhay artists' Open Studios event on April 26th.





No comments:

Post a Comment